Improve the health and wellbeing of Torres Strait Islander and Aboriginal families and individuals residing in the Torres Strait and Northern Peninsula Area.
- Contributing to health policy and grant delivery in the region.
- Monitoring the rollout of and contributing funding to the delivery of essential services to support healthy communities.
- Supporting preventative health and wellbeing initiatives including sport and recreation activities.
- Supporting healthy and affordable food for communities.
Sport and Recreation Activities (Grant Funding)
The Torres Strait Youth and Recreational Sporting Association (TSYRSA) currently administers sports subsidy funding on behalf of the TSRA throughout the Torres Strait and Northern Peninsula Area.
TSRA provides additional support for TSYRSA to build its organisational capacity to improve service delivery, including training and developing staff and committee members in administration and accounting.
We also provide one-off grant opportunities to support community organisations and groups to deliver healthy and active lifestyle activities including:
- NPA Health and Wellbeing Challenge Program – Northern Peninsula Area Family and Community Services Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Corporation
- Development of a Business Plan – Torres Strait Islander Nurses Indigenous Corporation
- State of Mind Wellbeing Symposium, Badu Island
- Junior Rugby League Camp and Careers Market, Warraber Island - Surumau Gladiators Rugby League Football Club.
Health Promotion and Community Education Projects
To support local healthy and wellbeing projects, TSRA:
- Provides operational funding for TSYRSA to provide support towards sporting events in the region and work with and engage stakeholders to deliver health and nutrition education initiatives.
- Influences policy for health programs across all tiers of government through participation in health committees, forums, and government meetings.
- Maintains strong partnerships with key stakeholders to support, monitor and address the region’s ongoing challenges and opportunities affecting Torres Strait health outcomes and health service delivery.