The TSRA has two Advisory Committees: the Audit Committee and the Indigenous Fisheries Advisory Committee (IFAC).
The TSRA Audit Committee has four members. The Audit Committee was established in accordance with Section 32 of the Commonwealth Authorities and Companies Act 1997 (Cth). The TSRA Board is responsible for the appointment of the Audit Committee. The committee provides independent assurance and assistance to the TSRA Board on the risk, control and compliance frameworks and the TSRA's external accountability responsibilities.
The Chairperson of the Audit Committee is an independent member from Moore Stephens Accountants and Advisors. The Chairperson of the Audit Committee provides technical expertise and experience, supplying advice on best practice accounting and auditing standards in the public sector. Special meetings of the Audit Committee can be held if deemed necessary by the TSRA Chairperson or the Chairperson of the Audit Committee.
The membership of the Audit Committee is shown in Table 4-7.
|Mr Adrian Kelly||Chairperson and Independent Member|
|Mrs Romina Fujii||Member for Port Kennedy and Rotational Member|
|Mr Yen Loban||Member for Ngarupai and Muralug|
|Mr Kiwat Lui||Member for St Pauls|
The Audit Committee met four times in 2013 - 2014, as shown in Table 4-8.
|10 September 2013||Nil|
|3 December 2013||Nil|
|4 March 2014||Nil|
|30 May 2014||Nil|
Members' attendance at Audit Committee meetings is shown in Table 4-9.
|Member||Number of meetings attended|
|Mr Adrian Kelly||4 of 4|
|Mrs Romina Fujii||4 of 4|
|Mr Yen Loban||4 of 4|
|Mr Kiwat Lui||4 of 4|
Indigenous Fisheries Advisory Committee
The Indigenous Fisheries Advisory Committee (IFAC) was established in 2012 under Section 142M of the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Act 2005 (Cth). The objectives of the IFAC are to:
- Provide a forum for the discussion of strategic management and policy matters relevant to Torres Strait fisheries and act as an additional medium for the flow of information between the TSRA and Torres Strait communities.
- Provide advice and make recommendations to the TSRA Board with respect to:
- investment of resources into capacity building and support programmes for traditional fishers,
- policy proposals and management advice for Torres Strait fisheries,
- policy direction and approach to resource sharing and leasing,
- engagement and establishment of effective relationships with all fisheries stakeholders, and
- research strategic priorities and provide advice on research proposals.
- Establish sub-committees as required to ensure the range of issues requiring consideration are given proper attention.
- Undertake additional functions on behalf of the TSRA as determined by the TSRA Board.
The effectiveness of the IFAC in engaging with fisher communities and providing independent industry advice to the TSRA board was reviewed in 2014. Meetings of the IFAC were suspended while the review was conducted. The board determined that a different model of engagement with community fishers was required. The IFAC was disbanded on 5 June 2014.
The membership of the IFAC is shown in Table 4-10.
|Gavin Mosby||25 May 2011 to 31 March 2014|
|Dimas Toby||25 May 2011 to 31 March 2014|
|Daniel Takai||25 May 2011 to 31 March 2014|
|Cyril Gabey||25 May 2011 to 31 March 2014|
|Ned Larry||5 December 2011 to 31 March 2014|
|Ralph Bann-Pearson||5 December 2011 to 31 March 2014|
|Michael Passi||6 September 2012 to 5 June 2014|
|Bert Matysek||4 June 2013 to 5 June 2014|
The IFAC meeting dates are shown in Table 4-11.
|1 August 2013||Michael Passi, Bert Matysek and Cyril Gabey|
Attendance at the IFAC meetings is shown in Table 4-12.
|Member||Number of meetings attended|
|Gavin Mosby||1 of 1|
|Dimas Toby||1 of 1|
|Daniel Takai||1 of 1|
|Cyril Gabey||0 of 1|
|Ned Larry||1 of 1|
|Ralph Bann-Pearson||1 of 1|
|Michael Passi||0 of 1|
|Bert Matysek||0 of 1|