- TSRA Board Member: Miss Chelsea Aniba
- TSIRC Councillor: Mr Keri Akiba
- PBC Chair: Mr Paul Kabai
- TSRA Board Member Contact Details:
Telephone: 07 4069 0700
Facsimile: 07 4069 1879
- TSIRC Councillor Contact Details:
Telephone: 07 4083 2800
Facsimile: 07 4034 5750
- PBC Chair Contact Details:
Telephone: 0473 579 972
0459 416 588
- Population: 480 (2011 ABS Census)
- Location: Top Western Group
Saibai is approximately 20km long by 6km wide. The island was formed from alluvial sediment, built up over time from neighbouring Papua New Guinea’s vast river systems, which are a mere 5kms to the north.
At an average of one metre above sea level, the island is a mixture of mangrove fringe, flood plain and brackish swamps. It is also subject to flooding and rising sea levels. The wet season deposits approximately 2 metres of rain, yet in comparison, the dry season leaves the island short of water.
There are strong links with the Bamaga community on Cape York as many Saibai Islanders migrated there following floods in the 1950’s.
The Saibai Regional Plan Community Booklet 2012 lists:
- the needs the community expressed in 2008 during consultations for the development of the Torres Strait and Northern Peninsula Regional Plan 2009-2029, and their status in 2012 (colour coded red,orange or green), thus showing progress in filling gaps in service delivery
- the services delivered or available and accessible to the community and individuals across the Region
- contact details for government departments, agencies and programs.