This appendix references the appropriation programme expenditure 2015-2016 in Table 2-1 on page 14 and provides additional information on the reason for the variances for each programme area’s expenditure as compared to budget allocations.
During 2015-2016, the TSRA operated under a programme structure which was focused on the delivery of outcomes and realisation of measurable benefits against the Torres Strait and Northern Peninsula Area Regional Plan 2009-2029 and the Torres Strait Development Plan 2014-2018.
The 2015-2016 actual programme spend from appropriation totalled $60.926 million compared to a budget allocation of $60.775 million, resulting in a variance of -$0.151 million or -0.24 per cent.
In the main, the variance can be attributed to changes in project phasing between financial years. Notes are provided below Table 6-3 on variances greater than 2 per cent between budget and actual.
The following programmes recorded variances between budget and actual. Note that the figures in the table include external funding.
|Culture, Art and Heritage1||564||11.00|
|Environmental Management 3||(226)||-2.00|
|Governance and Leadership 4||(372)||-8.00|
|Native Title 5||141||4.00|
|Safe Communities 6||(109)||-4.00|
The budgeted figures differ from those in the portfolio budget statements because of additional funding received during the year and a reallocation with programmes to reflect reprioritisations to deliver on programme outcomes; the variance between total actual expenditure and total budget expenditure is minor and represents 0.41% of total spend.
1. Variation (11.00 per cent) due to number and value of grant funding applications approved.
2. Minor variation (5.00 per cent) due to rescheduling of activities from 2014-2015 to 2015-2016.
3. Minor variation (-2.00 per cent) due to repayment of 2015 unspent grant received and scheduling of activities in 2015-2016.
4. Variation (-8.00 per cent) due to phasing of key projects and additional activities.
5. Variation (4.00 per cent) due to delay in recruitment of Legal Officer position.
6. Variation (-4.00 per cent) due to number and value of grant funding applications approved and scheduling of activities.